Saturday, February 28, 2009

How Speed Dating Should Be, Part 1

I am going speed dating this evening, which is hosted by one of the Manhattan singles' ward. I have never speed dated, although I have seen it done on TV, never with remarkable results. Although I will withhold judgment until later tonight after I am all speed-dated up, I would like to propose a model for fool-proof (read "Tony-proof") speed dates.

The advantage to speed dating over conventional dating is its efficiency. With that in mind, the key has to be total transparency. Going into each micro-date, both man and woman should know everything about each other. So instead of being forced to slowly find out their talents and eccentricities through months of expensive and time-consuming dating, they can cut right to the chase.

I am not just talking about likes and dislikes. Who really cares if my favorite color is green and if I like ponies? The kind of woman that I would never be interested in, that's who. I'm talking about medical records, academic transcripts and bank statements. How many pushups can you do? Does anyone in your family have a history of glaucoma? Do you have weak ankles (which Mark refers to lovingly as "wankles")?

It would, of course, also cover uncomfortable questions that would potentially emerge in the developmental stages of a budding romance. It makes no sense to wait until 6 months in to address these kinds of deal-breakers when you could address them up front. How many children do you want to have? Do you want a TV in the bedroom? Would you ever consider naming your son Tiger Woods Sheehan? In terms of toothpaste tubes, are you a squeezer or a roller?

Each party would be given five minutes to review their documents, then they would be given five minutes to converse, and then they would move on. Based on their impressions from the quantitative and qualitative analyses, they would decide jointly to further pursue a relationship, and whether it would on a long-term or just-for-fun basis.

They would each be required to attend speed dating sessions at a predetermined interval - every three months, for example - to confirm that they are really not interested in pursuing other options. So they would sit through the session, and if they still are most compatible with their current girl/boyfriend, then the relationship can continue. If not, they should try other candidates that they are better matched with. No hard feelings, no tears.

It is undoubtedly the best way. Or so I say prior to my speed dating rendezvous. I'll let you know how I feel in a few hours afterward. My gut tells me it will be something like, "Speed dating is stupid. And girls are stupid. Where's my Xbox?"

If this type of speed dating were common, or even mandatory, time could be spent more productively

3 comments:

Petra said...

Why am I not at all surprised that you think this way?

Minnie said...

Forget actually executing your plans for ideal speed dating, I think all you have to do is just print off this post and if they don't laugh then you don't have to waste your time.

Anonymous said...

chicagos http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Vacuum-Cleaners/default.aspx communicated http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Annuity-Calculator/default.aspx legalize http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Bariatric-Surgery/default.aspx memberships http://blogs-new.bestfriends.org/members/Electric-Blankets/default.aspx fourier http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Furnace-Filters.aspx zarahemla http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Vending-Machines.aspx recreate http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Kitchen-Cabinets.aspx invsba http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Slipcovers.aspx aazar http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitors.aspx sawing http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Popcorn-Machines.aspx aspiring http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Garage-Door-Openers.aspx sacramento