I am training for the Salt Lake City marathon. Now, I realize that there are a few fundamental logical flaws about that statement – “WhySaltLake, when you live in New York?” and “But marathons are for athletic types, Tony!” just as a couple of examples. But I am going through with it nonetheless.
The main reason that I am doing it is squarely in line with the assertions outlined in the disgustingly accurate blog StuffWhitePeopleLike.com. Beyond that, I am doing it because (a.) Lance Armstrong did it, (b.) girls do it, and I am not one to be beat by a girl, (c.) training for it is cheap entertainment, (d.) entrance into the New York Marathon is on a lottery basis and (e.) it gives me an excuse to wear running tights.
Although I am far from being ready for the marathon – I am about 1/3 of the way into my training – I have a few observations thus far. I’ll keep it to four for the time being, although I could offer many more. Running gives you way, way too much time to think.
(1.) There are few physical sensations that are more persuasive than having to go to the bathroom. Granted, I have never been water-boarded, which some say is unpleasant, but when you are running and you know you are 5 miles from the nearest bathroom, it is stressful. At the first inkling of tinkling, you start to run both more quickly and more smoothly. It makes life one big cardiovascular potty dance.
(2.) You only meet people who are running faster or slower than you. Everyone who is running at the same pace as you will stay the same distance in front of you or behind you. I’m sure there is a life lesson to be learned in that somewhere.
(3.) 26.2 miles is long. To date, the farthest I have run is 18 miles, and that was actually a 16-mile training run during which I got lost running circles in Brooklyn for 2 miles. Our bodies are remarkable adaptive because I remember when my knees gave out after 3 miles. (That is not a testament to my body specifically, but to bodies in general.) Or maybe it’s just a testament to how much I complain.
(4.) There’s room for improvement. Always. I am looking at finishing the marathon in about 4 hours, 3 hours 45 minutes best-case scenario. That’s chump change by marathon standards. But I won’t be able to run better than that until I’ve run at that pace. It’s like lower-tier mediocrity is a necessary step to upper-middle-tier mediocrity.
I'll try to provide periodic updates on how goes the training. And trying is half the battle.
2. I am impressed. And jealous. I wish I could still run, but since my knees still hurt from my half marathon in May, I'm trying not to give into the temptation.
Aligounlina [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-prednisone-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Prednisone without no prescription online[/url] [url=https://launchpad.net/~codeine-poro]Buy Codeine no prescription[/url]
4 comments:
1. You are blogging again. Hooray!
2. I am impressed. And jealous. I wish I could still run, but since my knees still hurt from my half marathon in May, I'm trying not to give into the temptation.
3. When's the marathon?
Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?
...please where can I buy a unicorn?
Aligounlina [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-prednisone-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Prednisone without no prescription online[/url] [url=https://launchpad.net/~codeine-poro]Buy Codeine no prescription[/url]
Post a Comment